A tool that converts .NET metadata and XML documentation to markdown files.
I was very inspired by mdBook and wanted something similar to generate documentation to the game engine I am working on. I was aware that C# can generate XML files from documentation comments, so I thought about leveraging both of these.
Of course, I went from a straighforward XML to markdown generator to a tool that extracts metadata information of all public types exposed by a target assembly. You can find the source code here or even try it out.
Deploying mdBook after generating the markdown files.
The general structure of the files is:
└── src └── pre_SUMMARY.md ├── summary.md └── <AssemblyName> ├── <ClassName>.md └── <NamespaceName> └── <ClassWithinNamespaceName>.md
I did a lot of things that I am particularly proud here:
- “Decompile” the members signature to display code in the documentation.
- Link to an external documentation source. So far, I support MonoGame and Microsoft documentation websites.
- Link to other members within the same assembly at the documentation.
- Automatically generate files for mdBook.
- Enabled GitHub Actions to automatically generate release binaries.
Anyway! I can’t wait to actually release the engine and its documentation powered by this tool.